The White Turf event was established in the early 1900s when some horse lovers organized a race on the frozen lake. Due to the unexpected success of the race, it was formalized and has since become an annual winter fixture in the Alpine retreat. The event has been attracting a lot of families worldwide, and many of them have been using a private jet charter to St. Moritz to attend.
Over the years, the White Turf has grown in popularity, attracting local participants and international competitors. The races are traditionally organized on consecutive Sundays in February, including flat gallop races, trotting races, and skijoring events. The race involves a skier being pulled by a horse, creating a thrilling spectacle on the track. The game features daring racers over a 2000+ meters lake area behind speedy horses, garnering attention from enthusiasts.
When Will The White Turf Be Held in 2024?
Mark your calendars for the White Turf racing days on the 4th, 11th, and 18th of February, where the frozen expanse of the resort town’s lake transforms into a spectacular race track. Picture a giant frozen area that is 44m deep. Amidst the stunning alpine landscape, bulky racehorses have been testing their mettle in gallop races on the frozen lake since the 1910s. In contrast to gallop races, trotting competitions feature carts with advanced runners attached for the horses’ distinctive stride.
Also, save the dates for the White Turf family days. February 3rd, 10th, and 17th welcome the latest installment of family-oriented weekends for the children. During the festivities, the white lake becomes a fun area on these Saturdays, offering rides on horses, delectable treats, and exhilarating sleigh rides for the younger children. Entry to the venue is free of charge, but it is essential to bring your skiing equipment.
How To Get To White Turf St. Moritz in 2024?
For private jet charter to St. Moritz, both Samedan Airport and Zurich Airport are convenient options to attend the White Turf event, catering to different preferences and travel needs.
- SAMEDAN AIRPORT / ENGADIN AIRPORT: The frozen lake of the Alpine gem is only a 10-minute car drive from this airport. Its easy location makes it the first choice for those seeking a direct journey. However, the terrain could be more challenging to navigate due to the airfield’s status as one of the highest airports in Europe. Since the airport faces operational constraints due to its elevated location, pilots should account for considerations.
- ZURICH INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT: This is the closest airport suitable for handling a large number of passengers from all around the globe. For those arriving internationally, flying into Zurich Airport is a common choice. From Zurich, passengers can take private transfers and taxis for a more personalized and direct journey from the airport to the snowy turf in 3 hours.
- ST. GALLEN ALTERHEIN AIRPORT: This is closer to Saint Moritz because travelers can reach their destination in about 2 hours and 15 minutes. There might be parking restrictions here since the apron and helistand in front of B-hangars are closed due to work in progress. Also, there are taxiway restrictions that may limit private jet arrivals. Only a maximum wing span of 12 meters is allowed from taxiway N to Hangar A1, A2, and A3.
- St. MORITZ-BAD HELIPAD: It is common for many passengers from Italy and neighboring countries to use helicopter charters to Saint Moritz for their arrivals and departures. For example, Milan residents can easily use helicopters to fly to Saint Moritz Helipad in 40-45 minutes.
What is the Price of a Private Jet Charter to St. Moritz for White Turf 2024?
Let’s discuss the costs of booking a private jet charter to St. Moritz, Switzerland. We recommend that American passengers arrive in Zurich instead of opting for a direct transfer to the Engadin Valley. The following prices are completely up-to-date and relevant for the event this year for the light jet category:
- London to St. Moritz: $9850 for approximately 1 hr and 40 minutes of flying.
- Paris to St. Moritz: $13500 for 1 hr and 20 minutes in air.
- Berlin to St. Moritz: $14000 for an hour and a half spent airborne.
- Rome to St. Moritz: $14300 for almost the same flight time.
- Zurich to St. Moritz: $9000 for 40 minutes of air travel.
The Pilatus PC 12 single-engine turboprop is an even cheaper means of flying between Zurich and Engadin Valley while accommodating eight passengers.
Private Jet to St. Moritz Switzerland: What’s More?
Besides the lake of the valley, where the racing happens, the town has a lot of versatility to offer tourists. Do you know that the region has hosted the Winter Olympic games in the past? Cultural heritage is on display at museums showcasing Alpine paintings and the rich history of the Engadin Valley. Breathtaking vistas can be enjoyed at a mountain accessible by funicular railway, providing a perfect setting for winter sports or hiking with views of the Morteratsch Glacier. Historic hotels are the iconic symbols of elegance in the region and deserve exploration. Some attractions worth visiting are:
- Lej Da Staz
- Sangitini Museum
- Chesa Futura
- Badrutt’s Palace Hotel
- Leaning Tower
- Muottas Muragl
Icarus Jet provides private jet and helicopter rentals to places on different continents. We cover all destinations, so do not hesitate to request a personalized quote. For more insight into hiring a private jet to St. Moritz, please email us a request at email@example.com or call +1 888 277 7203.